A basemap is most often associated with a visual representation of base geography (streets, buildings, parks, etc.) upon which other elements may be mapped. The base layers on that map help the user orient themselves within space.
In this section, we lay out some component basemap pieces that form core reference data. The underlying data can be used in more than just developing a visual reference map.
- We start with an overview of how the pieces fit together. Understanding this can help you when linking and referencing data across multiple department datasets.
- Then for each basemap component we provide:
- A definition
- Visual illustration of the concept
- Authority under which it is collected
- Primary or authoritative uses
- Accepted values
- And summary of supporting reference data